Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Plinqo for bids4biz

We've been developing an exciting new website called Bids4biz.com.
I wont go into detail about the actual site yet (until we are closer to launch) but I will say a bit about my experience with PLINQO .

What is PLINQO?

Basically it's what LINQ to SQL should've been.
PLINQO is an ORM built on top of LINQ to SQL implemented as Codesmith templates so you'll need a copy of Codesmith to use it.

Why I chose PLINQO

Before I begun the project I had a few requirements in mind when deciding what framework to use for my business and data access layers:
  • Code should be easily generated from Database schema
  • Changes to my database schema should easily propagate to my code through code re-generation
  • The code Generation tool should be simple to use
  • Documentation should be readily available
  • There should exist some implementation in the business layer objects to enforce business rules
  • Performance should be good (for DB transactions)
  • Objects should all have strongly typed properties.
  • Should not be overly complex
  • Learning curve not too steep
I looked at CSLA, nHibernate, Doodads, building from the ground up and of course PLINQO.
PLINQO by far fit my criteria above.

All I had to worry about was designing the DB then after specifying a few settings (with help from the video tutorials which were very easy to follow) then Codesmith generated all my classes and dbml from within Visual Studio.
If I make a change to my database, after 2-3 clicks, my code is updated to match.

I only needed to spend 30mins learning how it worked before I could jump right in and generate some code.


Development is still going and so is my learning experience with PLINQO but so far it has been an excellent choice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you are liking PLINQO! :-)